The (Imaculate) Conception
The starting point for this year's Burn's Supper offering was this image that I found on Pinterest one lunchtime: a dress from the 1950s. Well, this looked like just the ticket for me to create for this year's Burn's Supper.
|Remember "Meet the Fockers"? You're outside the circle of trust Greg...|
NB/- detailed notes will be provided in a separate post
The first step in this project was the creation of the bodice. I figured the skirt would be easy, so I had to make the bodice first to see if my adventure was going to work. I wanted a strapless, shaped bodice, with boning, that wasn't too high. My starting point was the bodice (minus overlay) from McCalls 5382 (??), as I have made that dress before and knew it should work.
My bodice is made of a number of layers:
- Black lace overlay;
- Black chiffon/white satin as the outer layer;
- Black satin cumberband
- Sew-in, medium weight interfacing (white); and
- 100% cotton (white) for the lining*.
*There are multiple reasons why I used (and why I always use) cotton for the lining on evening dresses:
- It is not slippery and therefore the dress holds up better;
- It is breathable and therefore more comfortable to wear; and
- It has a certain amount of stamina in it and is therefore up to the task of supporting the rest of the dress.
Here is the final dress.
|Detail of the finished bodice|
I think the hard work was totally worth it as this makes me feel $1,000,000 – see evidence below of me pleased as punch. I wore it with the petticoat I purchased from Armstong's, which was good as new after a soak in the bath, cold wash in the washing machine and a spray of white vinegar/water. It was only this last one that took the musty smell out